Friends

15 December 2012

Remembering Grindelvald


This is the picture that greets me whenever I walk into the kitchen.  It was June 1988 when we went to Grindelvald, in the Jungfrau Region of Switzerland and because of the length of time my memory of everything is, to say the least, a little hazy. I’m not one to absorb the geographic or historic details of our vacations so, if asked, I couldn’t tell you much about the place. Thankfully Joe is hot on both subjects so I can always refer to him when I need to know stuff.  That’s why photographs are so valuable and that’s why I decided to make this picture soon after arriving home.

The picture is nothing special as pictures go, but the memories it contains are. A small collection of things, a menu, travel tickets, a postcard, a map, and a photograph of an impressive signpost, were assembled and framed to make a decent display which for me was better than depositing photographs in a drawer and forgetting them.  I always forgot what was taken where unless someone had the foresight to inscribe them with details, and that someone was never me!

The actual picture is in a ‘poster frame’ which means all the items were placed between two pieces of glass and clipped together, with no outer frame. The outer frame shown above is courtesy of Lunapic.com.

I often regretted not making more souvenir collections, but we visited so many countries on our cruises that I would have run out of wall space. 

5 comments:

Mel said...

Oh.....very cool!
We have a few shadow boxes of fun 'stuff' we acquired on special journeys. And darn that I didn't see fit to do more--but like you, they'd cover a whole darn wall...or two! LOL

Brian Miller said...

oh goodness...i wanna go...how beautiful...the snow...the mountains....think i would sigh every time i looked at it...what a neat thing as well to jog those memories...

Star said...

It does look wonderful doesn't it Val. There are not many more beautiful places if you ask me!

Valerie said...

Hi Brian. It is certainly breathtaking scenery... you would sigh a lot methinks.

Lea said...

The frame of memorabilia is an awesome idea! I love the pictures, indeed full of happy, unforgettable memories. :)