Friends

20 September 2019

Tipping the Scales … by Judy Rose





This morning when I weighed myself, I got an awful fright…
For the weight that came up on the dial was certainly not right.
I’ve really had it with these scales, they’re utterly misleading,
I slid them over to the bath to get a second reading.
Again the weight that registered was ridiculously high,
I moved them back towards the loo to have another try.
The pointer stubbornly remained just under ten stone three…
I raised one foot and then breathed in, but all quite fruitlessly.
My last hope was the carpet, so I moved to softer ground,
Just to suffer more frustration … I’d gained another pound.
I’ll really have to face the fact: these scales have had their day.
They simply can’t deliver me an honest, spot-on weigh.
A brand new, high-tech digital would really be the bizz,
I need top-notch equipment now that tells it like it is.
And passing by the mirror, I catch sight of my reflection,
It’s not a picture that inspires, a more in-depth inspection,
But I am not at all perturbed by the vision that appears,
That mirror distorts everything ... it’s been like that for years.

10 comments:

  1. HA! VERY funny and cleverly written poem share, Valerie! You know, I can't even remember the last time I stood on a scale to check my weight. Probably, 20 years ago?! You see, I have the opposite challenge when it comes to weight. I struggle to keep weight ON rather that OFF. As a kid, I was always called "skinny" Even now, at 63, I'm not exactly skinny, but I'm on the thin side. And you should see the way I eat. I eat like a horse and a pic combined, and pretty much stay the same weight. I just have a very high metabolism.

    Thanks for the Friday afternoon laughs, my friend. Have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ron, I wish I was in your shoes and could brag about my skinny frame...lololol.
      I am losing some weight though, not a good sign at my time of life. I have been fishing some poems out just for a laugh. Enjoy your weekend.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks, kden. Have a good and peaceful weekend.

      Delete
  3. Ten stone three? I can't remember being ten stone three. A humorous look at one of our complexes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't remember ever being that weight. thank goodness.

      Delete
  4. This made me laugh, can so relate! Thanks Valerie :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sad but so true for many if us in the same predicament.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's funny, but I seem to be having some issues myself so after the laughs, the tears! haha
    This dieting stuff is hard. I lost about 20 lbs. over so many months, but had gained so much more over the last many years that it's a battle I think I'll always fight.

    ReplyDelete

If you're new to A Mixed Bag you might find something to interest you, a bit of mirth, a story or two, or some pictures. I'm so pleased you popped in, do leave a comment if you have time.