Friends

24 June 2018

NEW ACQUISITION



I recently bought the above coffee table, which I adore. Because I can no longer visit stores I looked on line but it took months to find what I wanted. Most stores sold coffee tables but all had to be self-assembled. Honestly, can you see me building a table?
Eventually I found just what I wanted – on line and ready assembled. Even though I worried about buying such a thing on line, the service was good, and everything was made easy.

The table was delivered in a short time and unpacked by the delivery men. You can imagine how pleased I was that everything had gone according to plan. As you can see, the table is solid. Properly tongue and grooved, just like my father used to do when he made furniture.

A few weeks after receipt of said item I was approached (on line) by a company called Trustpilot asking me to publish my recommendations either through them or via Facebook or Twitter. The reward for doing so was £200 worth of vouchers.

I ignored it.

I was approached again with the same offer.

I ignored it. This time I emailed the furniture store and told them that although I was very happy with my purchase I did not want to publish a recommendation elsewhere. To my mind it should be enough that the company who sold me the table knew how pleased I was with the purchase.

Again I was approached by Trustpilot, raising the offer and almost pleading with me to give my recommendation.

I ignored it.

It had happened before, when I purchased something from another company, and that’s why I was so cross when it occurred again. That time I had been pestered with offers of cash and promises to air my words for all to see, which included name and details of purchase. The purchase was a surprise gift – how was I to know it wouldn’t be seen by the person it was intended for?

It has made me think twice about purchasing stuff on line in future. 

16 comments:

  1. A lovely table but what a shame you have had that problem. I can understand why it has put you off buying any more furniture on line. I once bought a headboard the same way but didn’t have to deal with these kinds of harassing letters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems to be a new thing, Denise. I have bought stuff before and not been plagued with pleas to recommend. I wouldn't mind them asking once but when the requests continue it makes me feel 'never again'.

      Delete
  2. Valerie, I very rarely purchase anything online, but had the same thing happen to me several months ago after purchasing a smart phone protection case from a company online. Very persistent they were! But like, you, I ignored them. And all that for a product I paid only $5.99 for?!?!?

    What a fabulous table, though. Great choice! You're right, it looks well-built.

    Btw, your home looks lovely. Love the carpet. I also love the door/windows leading out to your patio.

    Have a great Sunday, my friend!
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Second attempt, Ron. I wrote a reply, clicked on send, and lost it.

      I am pleased you like the table. I was drawn to it after months of looking for one. This was the only one that didn't require self-assembly. Glad you like the carpet, which is old now and probably needs replacing. I'm hanging on in the hope that I can avoid the upheaval of fitting a new one. With so many colours any faults are hidden...heehee.

      Another week looms, hope yours is a good one, dear friend. X from Chas and me.

      Delete
  3. My wife buys stuff on-line all the time and never gets these offers, you would think they would not be so persistent, but it looks like a very nice table well worth a little ignoring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joeh. I hope this means you haven't completely given up on blogging!

      I am pleased with the table, as you can tell. Like your wife, I buy a lot on line but never before have I bought large pieces of furniture. I use Amazon a lot, but not this time.

      Delete
  4. Yes I often get asked to review things I buy online and ignore them all. The only thing I do write is an occasional review on Amazon. I know I benefit from reading other people's opinions on certain items, so I do the same when I can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot that I had commented on Amazon, but at least they don't prester people to do it, and they do print comments themselves, unlike those I mentioned on this post. It is the continuous pestering that riles me. The fact that I ignored a request several times shoukd hammer home that I didn't want to make a comment. Duh!

      Delete
  5. I bought a service and left a Trustpilot review. It was good, the service had been great. The second time I used the company it was the worst waste of money I'd ever had in my life. I must remember to try and find a way of changing the review, it's quite complicated to do so on Trustpilot. I will think twice before leaving another one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jenny, I wouldn't have minded so much if they hadn't bombarded me with messages, but I do think once a person says 'No' they should be left alone.

      Delete
  6. Lovely table. I would just ignore them asking for reviews.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will, Dave. The sheer volume of email requests wore me down.

      Delete
  7. I understand perfectly what you're saying, Valerie. We tire of receiving survey requests after we've called somewhere for information or assistance. If you don't give a "perfect" rating there are even more questions sent so we rarely reply to these as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am pleased to know others get as fed-up as me. I so dislike these repeated requests for praise. I

      Delete

If you're new to A Mixed Bag you might find something to interest you, a bit of mirth, a story or two, or some pictures. I'm so pleased you popped in, do leave a comment if you have time.