Friends

30 April 2017

POTS OF TEA

I thought I would give you a funny…. at least I found it amusing which under the circumstances is a good thing. It goes like this….
Lately I have had trouble with tea, rather the placement of same. I have three kinds in the kitchen, peppermint, lemon and ginger, and ordinary everyday tea. The peppermint is for after dinner, lemon and ginger is an early morning drink and the ordinary tea mostly for visitors, although I had started to have a cup in the evening because someone told me I should drink more milk! Go on, have a laugh. Seriously, though, I can’t drink milk on its own. As for the variation in tea, well, I used to drink only lemon and ginger but the peppermint crept in as a cure for indigestion. I actually gave up the ordinary everyday tea because I gave up milk. Are you with me, so far?
So, what’s the problem, I hear you ask.
The four containers looked good as a group so they were always kept that way, and later joined by the two extra pots for herbals. I have a stupid streak for things looking nice and rarely change them. And that’s how it stayed for several years … until the age thing occurred.

I tried hard to get it right but more often than not I would select the wrong one simply because they stood together, shoulder to shoulder in attractive containers that once belonged to my mother and which I liked enough to keep. The problem needed urgent attention and I came up with the answer: separate them and put them where needed most. I did. In fact I had a complete overhaul of stuff in that area.
Every time I examined the contents of a cupboard I would decide that they would be better elsewhere. Of course, that meant finding a new home for the stuff I was turfing out. I adopted a practical and sensible plan for all categories, a plan that would save time and energy. Take tea, for example. Tea is better located near both pot and kettle, food related items near the preparation area, etc. It was great fun sorting it all out and I wondered why I hadn’t done it years ago.
Now I can’t remember where anything is! Yep, it’s banging head time but never fear I WILL sort it. Watch this space in about six months to see how I get on. 
Valerie

23 comments:

  1. I bet the containers realised they were going to be changed and went on the run from you. :-) That's why you can't find them.

    Greetings from London.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Seriously, though, I can’t drink milk on its own."

    OMG, me too, Valerie! I am so NOT a fan of milk. Like you, the only time I ingest it is when I have coffee. But there are moments when I don't even have it then because I sometimes drink my coffee black.

    " separate them and put them where needed most."

    Brilliant solution! And btw, your containers, both the polka-dots and flowers, are faaaaabulous! I love how organized you are, I'm the same way. I live is a small space, so I need things to be neat and tidy.

    I also love your selection in teas - I have those exact ones as well!

    Fun post, my friend! Have a lovely Sunday!
    X

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cuban, I do have an organisational reputation so maybe you're right. I'll show 'em later when I've stopped laughing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ron, there was a time when I only drank black coffee but after a few years the stomach rebelled which is when I turned to herbals. Yes, I am an organised person.... everything in a convenient place is my motto.

    I am trying to work out how old the floral patterned containers are. I'm reckon I acquired them fifty years ago but not sure how long my Mother had them. Still looking good, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not a tea drinker at all, but if I do it's just the classic old PG Tips, but my older daughter loves all the fancy ones and the cupboard is full of boxes which hardly get used as she's at Uni but they bug me as they fill up all the space!

    I don't drink milk on it's own either, yuck, but I do like it in coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like the floral containers, the polka dots are cute, but not with the floral. I drink tea in the winter, just regular tea and generally in the evening. I'm a coffee drinker.
    I'm always rearranging my pantry, sometimes for the better, sometimes not.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good Sunday, Valerie! Fun, upbeat post!
    Enjoy your day with another pot of tea. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. For me the solution to this problem is easy. i simply yell, "Kare...where the frig is the rice?" After three times of her trying to tell me she comes down and gets it for me.

    I know, pitiful isn't it. I pay her back by emptying the dishwasher and folding the laundry.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You really made me laugh with this one. Mr BC wouldsay "labels,need more labels,"

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorting things out is always a good idea and it keeps your mind sharp to remember where you've put them all!
    And you are right, they are very pretty containers. Your mother had nice taste.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wonder if in six months they all migrate back to their starting positions? I can so relate whenever I try to organize anything it seems like everything is suddenly lost.

    ReplyDelete
  12. When I turned 60 I suddenly developed an allergy to milk. My throat got scratchy and felt a little swollen? I loved a glass of milk every night before bed but now I have moreorless given it up, almost! As for the memory thing. If I tidy things up that's it, I spend ages trying to find out where I put anything. I still have a cup of English tea with my British friends, but when I'm on my own I favor an herbal chamomile with honey and vanilla - I don't add the extras, it's alreayd included.

    ReplyDelete
  13. LL Cool, could you persuade your daughter to take all the boxes with her to Uni?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Janet, I used to be a dedicated coffee drinker, but no longer. After many years of imbibing coffee it suddenly upset my internal system. Rest assured the polka dots are not placed by the floral, that was done merely to take a photograph.

    ReplyDelete
  15. SJQ, I've had a few cups since writing this post... AND I remembered where each jar was.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Joeh, that's the trouble - I need someone I can call on to put matters right! Wondering now about the neighbours........

    ReplyDelete
  17. Katie, I have the labels, it's where I put the jars that I need to remember. I'm glad you had a laugh which was what I hoped for.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Jenny, I'll let you know if that happens - that is if I remember! My mother did have good taste, and an expensive one - my poor father had his work cut out dealing with some of her ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Jimmy, it's nice to know I'm not completely alone with the memory thing. If I remember I'll let you know.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Denise, I too had a problem with milk but since just taking a small drop in a cup of tea - once a day - I've been okay. Fingers crossed. Mind you I've only put it to the test in the last couple of months. Regarding the rearrangements, it is good know I'm not the only one who occasionally loses track.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love all your canisters and I can totally relate to your organization and the burning question "will it work for me"?
    Have a delightful week

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hello Helen and welcome. I am getting used to the new arrangement but there are times when the memory lapses... all part of life's rich pattern, they say.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for the chuckle, Val. And I look forward to hearing how it all works out. Take care.

    ReplyDelete

If you're new to A Mixed Bag you might find something to interest you, a bit of mirth, a story or two, or some pictures. I'm so pleased you popped in, do leave a comment if you have time.