Friends

15 May 2018

TALE OF THE RAGGED CARD

(photo by thepartyteacher.com)

When I was a five-year-old child (yes, I remember) I had to be farmed out so that my parents could go to work without worrying about me. An incident happened that I have never forgotten. Actually, it was the start of WW2 so for seven years I spent many happy hours playing with their son.

Don’t worry I am not going to labour on about those years with Carrie and Fred, just one incident that happened during a weekend spent back home with my parents.

It was Christmas and my mother gave me the job of opening the Christmas cards and displaying them on our piano. On one ‘opening session’ I opened a card from Carrie and Fred, a pretty card if I remember rightly, one that had a sort of rough edge to it. My mother, always one to speak her mind, labelled it as a second hand card that had once had an inner page on which to write a greeting.

‘It’s one of last year’s cards’, exclaimed my mother. ‘She’s torn out the middle pages and used the card again’.

I thought it was a clever idea.

The card had arrived in a parcel that contained a Christmas gift for me which necessitated a thank you letter. I wrote my thanks in my best handwriting and in my innocence included a ‘Mommy said…’

The two women didn’t speak for a long time after that and the feud went on for years. All arrangements for my time with the family were dealt with by my Dad.

I guess that was the time I learned to keep my mouth shut!

19 comments:

  1. Oh does that bring back memories. My daughter once told my Mother-in-Law what I actually called a tv star (and it wasn't nice) and I was so embarrassed. Thank goodness my Mother-in-Law laughed it off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lessons to be learned from our offspring, eh?!

      Delete
  2. Oh my! I remember once my step-son had given me a bracelet, I'm sure bought by his mother. I didn't wear it much because bracelets just get in my way. One day he said in front of her, "Don't you like that bracelet?". I'm sure the original comment came from her because she looked embarrassed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Out of the mouths of babes. We often say if you want to hear how you self. Listen to your children.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heehee you've got me wondering what my son says about me!

      Delete
  4. Oh dear, I'm not surprised you've never forgotten about that one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have quite a few unforgettable tales, Joe. I must try and rake some out for republishing.

      Delete
  5. What a great Memory! I have many moments like that.... From my Brother's point of view. He never really learned the importance of silence and often put his foot in his mouth... Followed my my Mom's hand on the back of his neck. Be careful parents! Your kids will tell everyone your inner thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember most things that involved my mother, she was extremely strict. I never learned when not to upset her.

      Delete
  6. This is a good reminder to be careful of what you say around your little people because it will get repeated. Thanks for sharing, Val. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Matt, it pays to be prepared in what you say in front of the kids.

      Delete
  7. OMG, that's hilarious, Valerie! Isn't is something how as children we never censored our thoughts, but just automatically said what was on our minds without any comprehension of what was appropriate to say and what was not?

    Yet, I must say that even sometimes now, I don't always pre-think about what I'm saying when I react to something, and simply spit it out; often putting my foot in my mouth.

    I really must try to work on that. HA!

    Have a glorious weekend, dear friend!

    X to you and Charlie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ron, I sometimes wish I had a child's mind again!!! Actually, remembering the incident with the ragged card I wish I could be less aware of saying the wrong thing.

      Hope you have a great weekend. Our weather has taken a turn for the better so I might get in some sunbathing.

      Delete
  8. From the mouths of children come......

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Valerie, I just saw your comment on my blog regarding baking, I couldn't find an email address for you so I hope you don't mind my posting here. I lost my late partner of 21 years to suicide back in 2013, and like you, I gave up on baking and cooking properly, as my pleasure in doing it was for him. I did bake a fruit cake for his funeral but I cried into it. It took me some time to regain any interest in food, but being on my own I realised I couldn't live on crisps and whisky forever, so I did start catering just for me. And that was hard too. It is horrible not being able to bake for the person you love, and it want until I began to find out who I was when I was just me, alone, that I started to cope with it all a little better and even bake the odd cake for myself. I haven't really got any advice, but I did want to share a sympathetic hug with you, and to encourage you to make something special, just for you. Even if you end up crying into it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Valerie, forgive me, but I must say that your mother was most unkind in saying what she did about the holiday card. Anything sent with good intentions should never be criticized for not being up to the same "standard" that the recipient (your mother) has in mind. And, while it's true that we should always be careful that something we've said doesn't come back to "haunt" us, as children there is no fear of repercussion or regret.

    ReplyDelete

If you're new to A Mixed Bag you might find something to interest you, a bit of mirth, a story or two, or some pictures. I'm so pleased you popped in, do leave a comment if you have time.