Friends

27 April 2013

Skin Care for Hands, Face and Body


Old skin needs more nourishment than young skin, as I’m now finding out. Unfortunately I’m one of those who develop a resistance to long-established and expensive creams, hand creams in particular. My skin just won’t absorb them and I end up feeling tacky.

My good friend Ron is really knowledgeable about skin care so when he recommended Nivea Soft I decided to try it. The recommendation was good; the product did wonders for my hands where other hand creams made no impression. I was so thrilled I bought another tube. I had noticed that there were tubs of it but I keep hand cream in a special place and a tub would have been too big for that small area. However, after one of my bathroom clear-outs I made room and decided to get a tub next time I went shopping.

Remember what I said recently about shops not supplying things I want? Well, here we go again. No Nivea Soft, in either tubes or tubs, could be found. There were other Nivea products, except the one I wanted. Nivea Soft is a moisturising cream containing Jojoba Oil and Vitamin E and was suitable for face, body and hands. Not so the new range. There are different creams for hands, body, and face, and a check revealed that Jojoba Oil wasn’t in any of the new products so it was useless one sales person telling me the hand cream was the same. How can different ingredients be the same? Perhaps she thought I was born yesterday!

I asked assistants in different stores and chemists shops, where I had seen the product on sale, but none knew if Nivea Soft had been discontinued or was in the process of being repackaged. One did offer the suggestion that I look on the internet. It was infuriating after so recently discovering/been told about it. Was I now obliged to start hunting for a suitable cream as good as Nivea Soft or was it another case of forcing us to shop on line?

And then I saw the advert on lunchtime television! Nivea Soft, it said, the perfect all-purpose skin cream. I can tell you, my ears were pinned back so hard it’s a surprise I didn’t get earache. The advert went on: Visit your local Boots store (our major English chemist) and give your skin a treat.

I was out of the door like a lightening flash, got in the car and drove like a madwoman to the nearest store. And there it was, an enormous display of NIVEA SOFT, which certainly wasn’t there the day before.

Wouldn’t you think the store’s buyer would keep the assistants informed as to why the product had been missing for weeks or do I expect too much? I mean, a hint or explanation that there had been a delay in delivery would have been so useful. Sometimes I dream of training shop assistants and teaching them words like No, madam, we don't have any right now but if you come in on Friday you can buy any amount you want. 

14 comments:

  1. It's so annoying when you can't find the product you want and no-one can give you any information on it. Have you bought enough to sink a battleship in case they run out? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are surrounded by incompetence, Val. So glad you found a product that works for you! By the way I gave you an award on my blog :-) - http://seasonsfullcircle.blogspot.co.nz/2013/04/liebster-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are surrounded by incompetence, Val. So glad you found a product that works for you! By the way I gave you an award on my blog :-) - http://seasonsfullcircle.blogspot.co.nz/2013/04/liebster-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not quite a battleship, Pearl, but almost :O)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I must be a bit like you in the skin department. I'm choosy about what I put on because of scent and how it absorbs or..doesn't.
    Irritating when you find something and it suddenly disappears. LOL This is why I go back and buy what works when I discover it works! Unfortunately, that doesn't spare me scrambling the next time!
    Good thing you have perky ears. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. smiles. if they only knew the business they were losing because they were not training their people eh? i am glad you found your skin car stuff...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will have to look for it here, I have loved nivea products. I especially like the calming lotion for itchy skin. I use it on the dogs too in winter.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Banker Chick, I am curious... where did you put it on your dogs?

    Hi Brian, it is frustrating when you know they know, if you know what I mean...grins.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yaaaaaaaaaay! I am so glad to hear that you tried Nivea Soft and love it as much as I do, Valerie! Isn't it the best moisturizer? Like you, I don't like anything on my skin that feels tacky, so this cream is perfect!

    "and a check revealed that Jojoba Oil wasn’t in any of the new products so it was useless one sales person telling me the hand cream was the same."

    That's the 'key' ingredient in this product that makes it as effective as it is...Jojoba Oil. So you were right, not all ingredients ARE the same.

    I just bought my second tub of Nivea. The last one lasted me months.

    "No, madam, we don't have any right now but if you come in on Friday you can buy any amount you want. "

    Yes! I come across this type of incompetence myself - Ugh!

    Glad to hear you found a place that carries this product.

    You GO, dear lady!!!

    X



    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Ron. In the shops where I live the assistants don't seem to know what ingredients are in the products. When I mentioned Jojoba Oil they looked blank. Bad policy to employ poor assistants, methinks. Anyway, thank you again for your tip ... it definitely works on me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nivea, Noxema, and Oil of Olay are my all time favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't need any skin creams because I am naturally lovely. And modest. Paul, Valerie doesn't do awards, but I bet she is secretly pleased. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. John, I was honoured to be included.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Not as many people are knowledgeable about products and what's in them like they used to be. Sad, really. Many consumers need and want to know for different reasons. Also, it is frustrating when you find something you do like only to find it's been discontinued. That has happened to me a few times.

    I have used Nivea and do like it. Glad you like it too, and have found a place to get it. Buy a few tubs just in case. ;) lol

    ReplyDelete

If you're new to A Mixed Bag you might find something to interest you, a bit of mirth, a story or two, or some pictures. I'm so pleased you popped in, do leave a comment if you have time.