Friends

26 June 2016

I SHOULDN’T BE ALLOWED OUT

I shouldn’t be allowed out, which is something I have said more than once. Quite recently I couldn’t seem to get anything right. I would like to think I could blame it on the weather, or going  shopping too early in the day, but that would only be making excuses. It’s the brain, you see. The older I get the more confused I get. Most times I’m okay but occasionally I get an off day. How’s this for starters?

It was Friday and that means get to the shops early or there would be no parking space and no easy access to the local supermarket. Friday is the worst day of the week to go shopping. It’s the day when everyone has the same idea, and all those people have cars. I usually manage to avoid Fridays, but not this week.

None of the above has anything to do with what is to follow, it was all down to my addled brain.

First of all I went into the chemist to buy an ordinary roll of sticky tape – the sort you put on wound dressings. No, I hadn’t got a wound, what I had got was two rings that kept sliding round the finger in the most irritating way. To solve that little problem I put a discreet piece of sticky tape round the two shanks, which fills in the gap between ring and finger and stops everything from sliding round. Yes, I know there are little clips designed for this purpose. I have some - they don't work. 

As you can imagine a roll of sticky tape can last years but mine was almost gone. I hunted for ages along the pharmacy shelves but couldn’t find what I wanted. I could find other sorts of dressings for cuts and other wounds but not the simple roll that I wanted, minus the dressing. So I asked the pharmacist, a very obliging young lady, who went straight to the shelf I had been searching and plucked out a box of – yes, sticky tape. I felt such a fool but resolved to shake off that feeling.

Back to the counter to pay for my sticky tape where the pharmacist’s assistant was sorting out prescriptions. Now mine are dealt with on a monthly basis and I am texted when ready. Brilliant system! Goodness knows what made me mention my prescription. I stupidly remarked that mine would be ready before long. Anxious to please, and before I could stop her, the assistant rushed off to the computer to check. I tried again to stop her but she was deaf to my efforts. Another month, she told me, which of course I knew. What else can you do but smile like an idiot when things don’t go the way you intend them to go.

The pharmacy is one that uses loyalty cards so in my total confusion I pulled the wrong one from my purse. I was beginning to wish I’d stayed in bed but I endeavoured to leave the store in ladylike fashion rather than like an old woman who shouldn’t be allowed out.

Next stop, the local supermarket. I wanted half a dozen large eggs. I didn’t want a dozen, of which there were plenty, I wanted half that amount. No joy, all the eggs in half-dozen boxes were medium size. I queried this at the cash-out and was told they never have large eggs in half-dozen size boxes. Excuse me? What the hell have I been buying all these years? By this time I'd had enough. I just wanted to go home.

Next stop, the bank, where I needed to get money from the cash machine. Would you believe I got it without any problem? BUT as I proudly stuffed notes in my wallet, a load of coins fell to the floor. I didn’t realise the zip of the loose change purse was open. With difficulty I spent a good five minutes picking up coins and hoping nobody would snatch a few before I could rescue them.

I only had one more job to do and that was to post a letter. I’ll stop at the corner shop, I thought, as I got in the car. Ten minutes later I arrived home and was about to climb out of the car when I spotted the letter on the passenger seat.

As already stated, some days I shouldn’t be allowed out. 

16 comments:

  1. OMG Valerie, I have days like this as well, I kid you not. There are days where I can't seem to get anything right like, forgetting to do certain things (such as forgetting what I need at the grocery store or forgetting to take my umbrella on a rainy day). In fact just the other day while I was at work, a customer asked me for a certain product and I looked on the shelve for a good 5 minutes, but didn't see it. I finally asked another associate to check the shelf for me and there it was - staring me right in the face - ha!

    So you see, it's not just you...it's me as well.

    Hope you're having a super Sunday, dear lady!

    X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ron, you have my sympathies. And there was me thinking I was the only one in the world these things happened to. The worst thing for me is when someone else puts me right in an exasperated tone - it doesn't help!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mrs. C does not like it when I go out for chores by myself. Thank goodness for cell phones so I can call to make sure I don;t forget what I left for.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to say I have those kind of days more then I would like too. You spend 30 minutes looking for something and then someone helps you and finds it right away right were you have been looking for the last 30 minutes. Those days you wish you did not get out of bed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. To have those things happen over a course of a week, would make one giggle. But to have them happen all in ONE day, well you just have to laugh! It does make the day unforgettable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. kden, I laughed eventually, and you're right - the day is unforgettable. I just hope I don't have too many like that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Valerie that's you and me both I have done all of those things and others - look for my mobile phone when I'm actually using it, look for my specs when they're on my head, forget completely what I was going to do/say. LOL Don't worry. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. To be honest Valerie I think we are all feeling a bit like that with the Brexit nightmare. Even the twins (aged 2) were affected somehow. It's something in the air. I hope you feel brighter soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jenny, Brexit has a lot to answer for!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It happens and I don't expect to get it right anymore. I lose my cool over it and now I just slow down. I do speak up a whole lot more with clerks as there is no excuse for some things. Take care and laugh once in a while and go ahead and snarl at other times.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Larry, I can cope with isolated incidents but not when they all come on the same day. I will heed your comment about snarling ... I think I will enjoy that.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We all have our clumsy, klutsy days I think. The trick (for me) is not to get focused on one particular mishap, as that tends to lead to another and another. I find that makes for a much smoother running day, most times.

    I hope you have a good weekend and week to come Val. Take care out there!!! G

    ReplyDelete
  13. Geraldine, I must remember not to dwell. It's difficult though when so many happen in one day.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Funny, you SHOULDN'T be allow out, ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't know if it will make you feel any better, Val, but I have days like this as well. I blame it on Kyle and Hayden and you have my permission to do the same. =) Take care dear friend and be careful out there.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, dear, don't we all have days like that? :-) Seriously, when it comes to posting letters, I usually find them inside my rucksack... three days after. :-)

    Greetings from London.

    ReplyDelete

If you're new to A Mixed Bag you might find something to interest you, a bit of mirth, a story or two, or some pictures. I'm so pleased you popped in, do leave a comment if you have time.