Friends

22 August 2014

SIGNS OF THE TIMES


Joe and I went out to lunch again. Yep, that's two weeks running. Our Saturday treats have now resumed. Now that he is so much better there is no stopping him. Actually, being so pleased with his current state of health, he pointed to a sign in the road and made the comment that he once felt like that. Isn't that good news? 

Whilst on the subject of road signs, here's one that is a real mystery... at least it is to me. It means what it says 'No entry except for Cycles' yet we still see cars and vans turning in there. Is there a sudden movement to disobey signs or is it that drivers can't read? Or maybe the rules don't apply to everyone. If that's so I think we should be told ... but you can bet you're bottom dollar if I turned into that road I would be hauled before the courts.

Two pictures to lead onto the next subject.



We get so many people pushing rubbish and stuff through our doors that the paper recycling people must be in their element. Not so the householder! In desperation we seize on notices that might put leaflet deliverers off. Hence the above. The police are clamping down on door traders so we don't get so many of those but you hear such awful things about bogus traders that many people are now displaying one of these. Note the different wording on the two sides. The first is what the 'visitor' reads and the second what the householder reads on his/her side of the door. Heehee, I wouldn't like to read the first one!



I know the next isn't a sign yet in a way it could be seen as a sign of the times. whereby anything and everything is shoved through letterboxes whether we want it or not. Most people in the road are elderly so I'm wondering what they thought of this one. I saw the young woman who posted it through my door, she was definitely fit and healthy. I could tell that because she was able to bend down to read my notices ... yet she still pushed it through the letterbox.


Last Saturday we went to one of our favourite haunts for lunch: Moor Hall which is surrounded by grounds and golfers, with a lovely lane leading up to the hall. We were on the way out when a lady stepped into the road in front of and signalled me to a halt. No, there wasn't a 'don't enter' sign but there was something coming down the lane that she wanted to warn me about. She was waving a camera and as she took aim I saw what was coming towards me. A horse-drawn bridal carriage. It turned right in front of me so quick as a flash I produced the iPhone. However, the angle of the carriage and my car wasn't good for picture taking. Oh well, I tried, but apart from getting out of the car and upsetting all those behind me there wasn't much chance of a better shot. Pity because the horse drawn carriage was a lovely sight. 





I didn't see the bride but I did see the bridesmaids from distance. 
How unusual that they all wore black.


Wishing you all a happy weekend

14 comments:

  1. I also don't like it when someone's at the door selling something, or calling us and selling something. It's really amazing how our personal information is being sold and resold. I am glad you and Joe had a fun time out and that he is feeling better.

    Mersad
    Mersad Donko Photography

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mersad, it is scary that people have so much knowledge about us. It seems there is no way to stop it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is against the law in the US to put anything but postage mail in the mail box...but that does not stop people from hanging things on door knobs or even junk mail, We don't get much door to door here in MO, because we are the only house on a large block and have a gate to get to the door.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh what a cool carriage...glad joe got out and is doing well...way back in the day i did door to door sales...and i did cold call business to business sales....it was not much fun...ha....

    ReplyDelete
  5. The signs are great. Of course, I love the horses best. Most importantly, so glad you and Joe are resuming fun, memorable times together. Hugs to you both.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad to hear that Joe is feeling better! Loved your post today, and all the signs/warnings. Just too bad that people don't heed them. lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. BC, that's interesting. I'd forgotten that you have mail boxes in the US. Ours come straight through the door.

    Brian, it was a lovely carriage and sight, if only I could have angled the car to getter shots. Heehee I hate cold call selling. Did you get some angry people on the doorstep?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pam, I thought of you when I was putting the pics on the blog. Aren't they absolutely adorable?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good news on the health front. I can relate feeling some days like those pictured on that sign....:) Beautiful horses indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the elderly sign. If they used the sign here it would be everywhere. I live in a retirement town.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your pictures give a good impression of the fairylike impression of the carriage. Reminded me of cinderella's coach!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Val. Nice to hear you and Joe are out and about as that makes me happy. Love the horse pictures. They are beautiful animals. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is great news about going out again. So glad to hear Jo is feeling better. Great shots on the carriage. We had a couple of young men on the doorstep tonight trying to sell us Fios.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dan, you want me to send one of those signs over... smiles.

    Denise, what are Fios?

    ReplyDelete

If you're new to A Mixed Bag you might find something to interest you, a bit of mirth, a story or two, or some pictures. I'm so pleased you popped in, do leave a comment if you have time.