Friends

13 January 2015

A MISTAKE TO BEAT ALL MISTAKES!

Are you sitting comfortably? Then, I’ll begin. This is the tale of a stupid woman who dropped a terrible clanger at Christmas time.

I believe I told you I had found my grandsons ... I was so over-the-moon about it, I must have done. Never mind, this is another post tied in with one of my lovely lads only it’s me that got things dreadfully wrong.

It was Christmas, a time for remembering loved ones and giving gifts, and I wanted to send a Christmas present to both Keith and Sara, that’s the lad and his partner. As usual I didn’t know what to buy, a task that’s getting more and more difficult as the years go by. My brain just can’t seem to think what people would like. It’s even more difficult, though, when you don’t know the likes and dislikes and have no idea what their home is like. After a great deal of mindless thought I opted to give money.

I had been in the mood to do a bit of craftwork and for a couple of weeks had been designing and  making envelopes to put Christmas gifts in. It struck me that some would be suitable to hold money. Here’s a shot of some I didn’t finish or use. They're nowhere near as good as the Christmassy ones.


Ah, I thought, perfect for the lad and his girl. I created two more, decorated with cut outs, holly leaves and a Santa for the girl and a Christmas tree with a choir for the boy, with loving words and their names on each. Into these I put a few crisp notes. Both envelopes were very flat and fitted inside the Christmas card. No bulk at all.

The card was posted well before Christmas and you’ll never guess what I did, sorry, didn’t do.

I DIDN’T REGISTER IT AT THE POST OFFICE!

I ask you, how stupid can a person get? The worst thing happened  ... the card and contents never arrived at the lad’s home.

Okay, don’t rub it in. I’m a first class idiot. I paid for it, though, I felt sick, I worried, and I pestered the lad to see if it had arrived. ‘No, Gran, it hasn’t come.’

I’ve calmed down now and written it off as the act of a lunatic, one that will never be done again. A hard lesson to learn!

Well, it’s big son’s partner’s birthday soon so on my last visit to the mall I looked round for a suitable card. I didn’t find one for her, but I did find THIS:


Hell, this must be standard practice if they’re making cards about it!

It’s certainly got me wondering if my gift of money went the same way.

13 comments:

  1. Don't beat yourself up Valerie. I have done this myself and always wonder if it is wise, but so far I have never had a problem. Sad that you have though. Your gift cards are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear about the lost gift; it must be so disappointing! Your handiwork is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG, Valerie, I love that "warning" card, it's BRILLIANT!

    So sorry to hear about your cards not arriving. Well, remember, karma's a payback, so whoever took the money will get their comeuppance!

    Your envelope designs are so lovely! They look professional. You are such a multitalented lady. Well done!

    Have a terrific Tuesday!

    X to you and Joe

    ReplyDelete
  4. Denise, this is a lesson we should all learn... there are so many rogues around.

    Bethany, it was and still is very disappointing. Thanks for your comments on the envelopes... I like messing about with craft things.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ron, I hope you're right about the payback. After all my years working with police and probation I should have known better. I could kick myself for being so stupid. One thing is certain, I will never do it again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, my goodness, that card is hilarious!! How appropriate to find just that one!

    But to be serious, I am so sorry that happened to you. Yes, I've posted things that haven't arrived, but to be fair, my mother used to stick banknotes into cards all the time - and give it away by the extra bit of sellotape she'd use to seal them with - but none ever went astray that I know of. It's simply bad luck. :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. ha. well someone had a nice christmas...ack...i love the envelopes you made.....and we all make mistakes...oy....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jay, I guess I was the unfortunate one... and I'm still cursing. After I found you I left a comment on your interesting post, a very timely one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tes, Brian, and it hurts to think someone else got the benefit and not the lad.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loved the post and the card at the end. Poor postie! :-)

    Greetings from London.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry about your lost card - I don't put cash in anything I mail anymore, although I've never had a problem. Love you envelope designs.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We've all been there. At least it wasn't a package.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Susan... for sure I won't go down that route again.

    ReplyDelete

If you're new to A Mixed Bag you might find something to interest you, a bit of mirth, a story or two, or some pictures. I'm so pleased you popped in, do leave a comment if you have time.