Friends

20 July 2018

CHARLIE - AND THE CHAIR



Have I mentioned Charlie lately? Answers on a postcard, please. Ooops, don’t got carried away.

The fight for the rocking chair has developed into a minor war. A normally placid cat when at home (I can’t say what he’s like outside) he is beginning to state his claim on MY chair.

I use the chair at certain times of the day and the sofa at certain times. Depending on what I want to do whilst sitting down. One chair is for TV viewing, the other for complete relaxation. I am definitely one to abide by rituals and, evidently, so is the cat. I told him this morning that I only use the rocking chair three times a day and he should respect that. (1) take breakfast sitting in the chair, (2) eating dinner off a tray sitting in the chair), and (3) all evening sitting in the chair. The alternative is to eat dinner at table!

This all came about when I disposed of the dining room table and rather than walk into another room, where there is a dining room table (country cottage design, which I love). I could sit with tray on lap and feast my eyes on activities in the garden (birds, squirrels, foxes) and then I would be in the sitting position that suits me best for watching TV.

Why not use the dining room table, I hear you ask!

Well the answer is that I have been taken over by laziness. You’ve no doubt come across it on occasions. It was late getting to me. It had to wait until laziness took hold of my brain and body. Having to set up table, carry in crocks as well as lunch was harder than flopping in a chair with a plate of goodies and telly to watch. So, no thanks to Charlie, I am back in the dining room where I can watch cars go by and maybe one or two neighbours. Okay, I got the cars right, but neighbours? Seldom see any activity in that area. They’re probably eating lunch or watching TV. None have cats so their home is their own.

Today, I got sneaky. I had lunch in the dining room and when finished I noticed that Charlie, bless him, was nowhere to be seen. My guess was that he was out sunbathing. As I still had washing up to do I devised a plan. I piled everything to hand on the rocking chair. I’ll show the selfish creature who’s boss. 

19 comments:

  1. Charlie is adorable on the chair. I'm sure he doesn't want to share it :) but I'm also sure you'll find plenty of opportunity to get ahead of him :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Mersad. Yes, I have devised a plan to get my chair back but haven't yet put it into practice. Good to see you again, will pop over to your blog soon.

      Delete
  2. Haha, I bet Charlie will just sit on top of the pile of things you've out on the rocking chair. Then who's the boss! Cats have a way of doing exactly what they want, when they want. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joe, he has tried to beat me.... so far I'm winning - but for how long?

      Delete
  3. Valerie, what a funny post!!!!

    " I am definitely one to abide by rituals and, evidently, so is the cat."

    Having had cats, I can verify that yes...cats LOVE daily rituals; especially when it comes to places where they like to hang out or sleep.

    Like the saying goes, "Cats are the kings and queens of their domain."

    " As I still had washing up to do I devised a plan. I piled everything to hand on the rocking chair. I’ll show the selfish creature who’s boss."

    Bwhahahahahaha! OMG, that's HILARIOUS! You GO, girl!

    Wishing you and Charlie a faaaaabulous weekend!
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ron. Half an hour ago I noticed Charlie sniffing round the heap of things on the rocker. I guess he thought as I was out of the room he could have his own way. Ha! He hasn't quite discovered how devious I can be...lol.

      Hope you, too, have a good weekend. Plenty to do, I expect.

      Delete
  4. I would think, just kick his arse out of that chair when ever you wanted it...but then, I have never shared my home with a cat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He would fight back and probably leave home. Ever since I wrote this post Charlie has moved to another chair.... I think he's been listening!

      Delete
  5. Good for you and for Charlie since if he finds another sitting place you can both have your own, Valerie. And Ron is so right because you never “own” a cat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beatrice, I think Charlie has got the message. He has suddenly decided he likes to sleep on our second sofa. Whoopee, I have the rocker back.

      Delete
  6. Love your sense of humor. Or is it humour in your neck of the woods? Your first line made me laugh. Thank you, Val. Are you ruling the roost or is Charlie back in charge?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Matt, most definitely Charlie is in charge. Glad I made you laugh, oh and by the way we spell it humour. Trust us to want that extra vowel. Have a good weekend.

      Delete
  7. Perhaps their is mediation available?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love that, TB, but who for - Charlie or me lol.

      Delete
  8. Charlie sounds like our cat Domino. I am always find him asleep on my so called 'computer chair'. They are such characters.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dave, Charlie has now moved to the sofa.... where I sat for a brief time recently. I am wondering if they prefer the scent of us humans on their chairs.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Not sure you can ever entirely get the better of a cat, but I get the impression that Charlie is a reasonable sort of a fellow. So hopefully this dispute will soon be sorted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Must reveal that since writing this post Charlie has moved to a sofa, the one I sat on a few times when I couldn't have my usual chair. Perhaps he likes my perfume!

      Delete
  11. -chuckle- That'll show him!!!!!!!!!!

    Yes, we are creatures of habit. We and pets. But face it, you are the one who feeds him! ,-) You should be able to sit in your chair, at appointed times. He can have it, other wise.

    Sighhh... But how to get this over, to a pretty kitty???????? I have no answer.

    Best of luck! Because the easiest way, is the best way, these days. It is here, that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete

If you're new to A Mixed Bag you might find something to interest you, a bit of mirth, a story or two, or some pictures. I'm so pleased you popped in, do leave a comment if you have time.