Friends

30 December 2012

Hubby's Christmas Present

Not so long ago John Bain posted a couple of pictures that he'd drawn, pen and ink style. I was impressed. In fact, they were so good they prompted me to think of having something similar done for Joe's Christmas present. I pondered on it for at least a couple of days before I put shyness to one side and asked if he could do one for me! 'Yes', he said, 'just send me a photograph and I'll see what I can do.' 

I waded through all my pictures until I found one taken by a professional photographer on a cruise liner, when Joe was all dressed up ready for dinner. He looks so distinguished in a dinner jacket so I decided to use that one. I couldn't wait to see the finished product. 

There was a tense moment when it arrived and the postman handed the package to Joe. I can't remember what I said it was but you can rest assured it was a lie! It was a few hours before I could get it to the framing gallery and decide on a frame. 

It would be several weeks, they said. I pleaded with them to get it done for Christmas ... and they did ...  just! 

The guys at the gallery raved about the picture. Damn good, was one remark, while another wanted to know who the artist was. 

John's efforts were first class and I am now able to show the world what a talented artist he is. Here it is, framed, and hanging on the wall, and what's more, Joe loves it. 



 Thank you, John. 

15 comments:

  1. That's wonderful and what a unique Christmas gift!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow...that's amazing.

    The painting.
    Not the lie you told the hubby. *laughing*
    Well done, YOU.

    And John did a most excellent job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a cool gift...glad they got it done for you...it looks amazing...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was very pleased with it, Pearl. I don't normally have good ideas :O)

    Agreed, Mel. John is a true artist.

    Thanks, Brian. I have to admit the likeness is excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a picture perfect gift, Valerie!

    I clicked the photo to enlarge so I could see it BIG.

    It's faaaaaaaabulous!!!!!!

    And I bet Joe LOVED it!

    You done good, dear lady!

    And bravo to John for such a splendid job!

    Happy Sunday to you!

    X

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is a wonderful work. I am glad you were able to pull off the secret gift.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, Ron. I'm especially pleased that the surprise was acceptable.

    Oooh Larry, I am so glad you like it, especially as you know so much about art.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a GREAT gift! And yes, a very talented artist - something to treasure, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a perfectly wonderful gift! Very nice, Valerie!

    ReplyDelete
  10. what a wonderful gift and a very talented artist.

    Gill

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, that is awesome! I love John's style.

    ReplyDelete
  12. John certainly is a talented guy, Herman.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Valerie and everyone for the kind comments. Hubby likes it that is what is important. You chose a perfect frame and mount too.
    Happy New Year Valerie to you both and also to all your readers.
    John.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I liked it very much indeed I remember that photo and diner. You had a photo taken as well and you looked beautifully elegant.
    The artist is ingeniously talented.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I liked it very much indeed I remember that photo and diner. You had a photo taken as well and you looked beautifully elegant.
    The artist is ingeniously talented.

    ReplyDelete

If you're new to A Mixed Bag you might find something to interest you, a bit of mirth, a story or two, or some pictures. I'm so pleased you popped in, do leave a comment if you have time.