Friends

29 July 2011

What do you think?

While she listened for the blare of sirens, slamming car doors and hurried footsteps on the path, she allowed herself the luxury of a glass of wine: white wine, an extravagant purchase for a special occasion. Glancing at the clock, she speculated on how much longer she would have to wait.

Daylight was fading. Shadows filled the room as one by one the street lamps came on. She adjusted her position, stretching her legs in front of her, mentally bridging the years. Past scenarios spun chaotically as she reminisced, but her stoical appraisal was soon disrupted by an insistent knocking at the door. It was time to be taken into custody, to be slung without question into filthy, black dungeons, clammy, like the shelters in the field, where her body would rot and her mind would shrivel.

~~~~~

Question: what is it?

Answer: it's the prologue to one of my books

10 comments:

  1. very nice...now where can i get the rest of said book?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great opener. Certainly gets the reader's attention!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooh, that's intruiging! You have piqued my interest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brian, it's on line but closed for general viewing. If in the future I think it's worth opening I will. Otherwise I can supply a link.

    Pat, that's good news.

    Mona, I'm glad you found it intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooooo....what a totally intruiging prologue!

    I love how in certain books they'll start with the ending and then go back to the beginning.

    You've got me VERY curious to look further into this book, Valerie!

    Hope you're having a splendid Saturday, dear lady!

    X

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ron says: 'I love how in certain books they'll start with the ending and then go back to the beginning'

    As does this one...grins.

    Thanks for your comment, dear boy. I may well introduce a few chapters, one at a time of course.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Blimey! Now I won't be able to sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So you left us hanging ....
    wanting more.. please !!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Like the taster, when do we get to read the rest? :)

    ReplyDelete

If you're new to A Mixed Bag you might find something to interest you, a bit of mirth, a story or two, or some pictures. I'm so pleased you popped in, do leave a comment if you have time.