Friends

15 December 2019

A VIEW OF CHRISTMAS

The scene beyond the rustic garden gate was like a Christmas card. Outside the ivy laden cottage a robin was perched in a holly bush. A recent snowfall covered the thatched roof like oddly shaped clumps of cotton wool. Leaded light windows reflected the orange flames from the fire. Beneath those windows a wooden wheelbarrow filled with logs. The bare beech tree looked strangely out of place, dull brown when everything else was highly coloured. The cottage door, as red as the holly berries, was adorned by a festive  wreath. The door was ajar and inside could be seen a Swedish Pine of mammoth proportions ablaze with twinkling lights. And the aroma that emanated from within was of turkey, slowly roasting .

In the snow-packed lane, an elderly itinerant peered over the boundary hedge, white unkempt hair wafting skywards in the biting wind. With ice-cold fingers he smoothed it over his crown then pulled his shabby grey coat closer to his chest. The motions were entirely mechanical for he was truly not conscious of the cold. He had no need of fires or Christmas fare for his soul was warmed through with love for the Lord God, who kept him safe and whose birthday they shared.

17 comments:

  1. Valerie, this so perfectly expresses the "true" meaning of Christmas. Beautiful! Just beautiful!

    Oh, and I love the animated snow photograph. It really adds to the story.

    Have a lovely Sunday, dear friend! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ron, it is the same picture I used last time I blogged this, only this time somehow the snow was falling. Don't ask!

      I hope you are ready for the Christmas festivities and I hope all goes well for you.

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful and touching view of Christmas, Valerie. It's like a Christmas card in words. And I like that snowy picture!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Jon, I like the picture. It adds life to words.

      Delete
  3. I love the snow falling. Hope the itinerant gets a warm. A very appropriate
    tale for Christmas time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. The picture was used before but this time the snowfall actually moved. Don't ask me how it was done or how I was able to use it!!

      Delete
  4. Sweet story Valerie. You always draw the reader in and this was such a pretty scene you set for us. You portrayed the elderly itinerant so at peace with his lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Denise, your comment is very much appreciated.

      Delete
  5. The snowy picture did indeed add to this wonderful tale, Valerie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, and I am not sure how it happened. I thought I was selecting a straightforward still life photo.

      Delete
  6. Beautiful as always.
    What a wonderful 'reunion' I feel as I see this blog post and reconnect with you after all these years.
    I send you loving hugs and wishes for a blessed Christmas and a wonderful and happy New Year.
    Sending you love from across the pond my blogging friend.
    Hugs and much love,
    Jackie (Teacher's Pet)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful, Jackie. I hoped you would remember me and you did. I consider it a wonderful Christmas gift.

      Delete
  7. Lovely picture and lovely photo from a lovely lady. Thank you, Val. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hoping you and your lovely family have a wonderful Christmas.

      Delete
  8. Beautiful and peaceful; Merry Christmas to you.

    ReplyDelete

If you're new to A Mixed Bag you might find something to interest you, a bit of mirth, a story or two, or some pictures. I'm so pleased you popped in, do leave a comment if you have time.