Friends

27 July 2012

Spam

Just lately my comment notification emails have gone into the spam box and the spam into the inbox. Crazy or what? I mean Yahoo knows who my regular contacts are. I think they must be having a few hiccups.

This must be the longest spam email I've ever received and I wish I hadn't received it. I know people can have disposable email addresses so it's probably a waste of time filtering and blocking. The interesting thing about this message is that the final paragraph is a different size and font to the main body which makes me think it was a copy and paste job. I wonder how many recipients there are?

My Dearest,

Good day to you, I have decided to contact you after much thought considering
the fact that we have not meet before, but because of the circumstance oblige me, I decided to contact you due to the urgency of my present situation here in the refugee camp, I am Miss Ajara kones, 23yrs old female and I from Kenya here in Africa; my father was the former Kenyan road Minister. He and Assistant Minister of Home Affairs Lorna Laboso had been on board the Cessna 210, which was headed to Kericho and crashed in a remote area called Kajong'a, in western Kenya. The plane crashed on Tuesday 10th, June, 2008. After the death of my beloved father my wicked step mother along with my uncles team together and sold everything that my late father had and share the money within themselves. Unfortunately to me I fined my father's briefcase and when I opened it I found a document, which my late father use to deposit the sum of Eight Million Five Hundred Thousand United State Dollars ($8.500.000.00) in International Micro De Finance Bank, here in Burkina Faso West Africa with my name as next of skin, right now I am in Ouagadougou Capital of Burkina Faso to withdraw the money so that i can start a better life and also further my education.
 
But on my arrival to the Bank, the Bank foreign Operation Department Director whom I meet in person told me that my father instruction to their bank is that the fund would only be release to me when I am married or present a trustee/partner who will help me and invest the fund overseas after the transfer, and the bank ask me to go and look for a foreign partner, that was why  I decided to contact you, which I believe that you are going to be honest and reliable person that will help me and stand as my trustee/partner, so that I can present you to the Bank for the release and transfer of the inheritance fund into your bank account in your country, and It is my intention to compensate you with 40% of the total fund for your services and help and the balance shall be my capital in your establishment. As soon as I receive your positive response showing your interest i will put things into action, in the light of the above, I shall appreciate an urgent message indicating your ability and willingness to handle this transaction, awaiting your urgent and positive response, Please do keep this only to your self, i beg you not to disclose it to any body till i come over because am afraid of my wicked stepmother, i will send you my picture in my next email, with due respect, i am pleading that you help me, i am giving all this detailed information with every transparency believing that you will have a clear picture of the base of help i need from you.


I hope to hear from you soon, May truth and love be the guiding word in my refuge,  
Best regard

 
Yours Sincerely
Ajara kones

15 comments:

  1. 40% Valerie! You lucky thing you. Get back to her right away. Oh that poor girl. Give her my email too. I want some of her money, er, I mean I want to help her

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh John, you are a caring soul, always so eager to help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha my yahoo is the same so you are not alone....it is pretty amazing how generous people are....smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The sad thing is some deluded fool will fall for it! :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brian, it is a relief to know I'm not alone... smiles.

    Pearl, you're right, there are some who would believe it was genuine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice little scam story she has spun. So much of that going around these days.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well your post reminded me to check my spam too. I get something in Cyrillic almost so I don't know exactly what the scam is. Life is interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Banker Chick, I had to Google Cyrillic... Wow! It would be even worse not knowing what was written.

    ReplyDelete
  9. *flabbergasted*

    OMG, Valerie, can you BELIEVE what some people will do?!?!?!?

    I've experienced something similar with an email a while back, but after I read it, I laughed and said, "Yeah...right!!!"

    As Pearl shared, the sad thing is that some deluded fool would probably fall for it.

    Have a faaaaaaabulous weekend, dear lady!

    X

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ron, I've had similar emails but this one was, for me, way over the top. Fancy spending your life sending out this kind of rubbish with a view to conning unsuspecting people.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes and lots of people will fall for that. It's sad how many people get duped.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've had variations of this off an on. Loved John's comment.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I too have been contacted by poor souls such as this just begging to share their money with me, too bad that some will actually fall for scams like this.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Jimmy, good to see you again. Yes, I've had several 'appeals' to top up my bank account... why do I never believe it... grins.

    ReplyDelete
  15. :-( The poor thing with a wicked step mother.....and here you published the letter.

    She'll probably be tossed in the oven and made into a cookie!
    k....wrong fairy tale....

    :-D

    ReplyDelete

If you're new to A Mixed Bag you might find something to interest you, a bit of mirth, a story or two, or some pictures. I'm so pleased you popped in, do leave a comment if you have time.