Friends

06 July 2012

The Wild Patch

Last year (or was it the year before) I wrote about turning the bottom section of my garden into a wild patch, or perhaps I should call it a wildlife garden considering foxes and squirrels have joined the birds and the bees. Yesterday the sun came out so what better place to visit than the patch. I took some pictures to show how it's going. The bees like it, the fox likes it, and the birds like it, and thanks to the birds I am also growing a few odd ears of wheat. It's all very interesting.

It all started when a wooden trellis collapsed. This meant that the rambling roses could no longer ramble and the place looked a proper mess. It was cleared out and the idea of a wild patch took shape. Well, wild it is. It still looks a mess but there's an objective there. Nothing has been planted yet things grow. I am constantly looking out for new growth and trying to identify what it is. My particular favourites are the foxgloves and the yellow poppies.

At the back of the patch the thistles grow and when the sun shines I love to watch the bees at work. I wonder why they never get stung!







The last two pictures are not in the wild patch, but the flowers weren't planted either. The blue harebell has obviously seeded itself from birdseed. I'm not sure about the other.



8 comments:

  1. well you have a rather nice looking wild patch...smiles...i like my nature a little wild...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi all, you should see it now, with all the rain it is getting flooded. The forecast is for torrential rain for the next 3-4 weeks. It will be a washout.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I looked at your weather forecast - all that rain! I wish you could send it to the States! We sure could use that rain! It is drier than a bone here, and the fires in Colorado could use it too!

    I love the idea of a "wildpatch". The flowers look beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Will do my best to send some your way, Pat. Anything for a pal...grins.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have several volunteer sunflowers right where the bird feeded is located. I love your wild patch.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE your wild patch. I have often read if one has the room they leave a wild patch in their yard.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those pictures were lovely and glad to hear a post that mentioned the sun was out. Hopefully there is more of it to come because I don't like hearing about all that rain you are getting. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wish I had a wild patch like yours. Those photos show some real pretty flowers. Thanks Valerie, and have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete

If you're new to A Mixed Bag you might find something to interest you, a bit of mirth, a story or two, or some pictures. I'm so pleased you popped in, do leave a comment if you have time.