Friends

10 January 2013

SPIRITS OF THE PAST (repeat)


It was the weirdest dream I'd ever had. I was flying, literally, soaring like an eagle right into summer, leaving the New Year frosts behind. A silver cape streamed behind me. A black mask, slightly askew, had captured an aimless spiral of blonde hair. Apart from isolated cotton-candy clouds, there was nothing to see. I thought the world had disappeared until I found myself gliding over a floating mass of what appeared to be dark brown rocks. I hovered briefly in order to survey the great bulk of... well, I'll call it rubble for want of a more descriptive word. I could distinguish some mountainous areas in the middle, with colourless water snaking in and out, but the majority of the terrain was flat and sombre, littered with boulders and various markers. I shoved the delinquent hair behind my ear, adjusted the mask, and then zoomed down for a closer look. The nearer I got to that spherical island the more chilled I felt…yet it wasn't cold. In fact, the higher my cape flew the more of my shoulders the sun found to roast.

The markers were a diverse array of signposts each pointing in a different direction. Mostly the posts were constructed from wood, ramshackle and splintering, but one or two were elaborately created. Those were placed abreast of wooden stiles, though there was no path upon which to travel when one had clambered over. I plunged towards the first post and latched onto it by wrapping my arm around its imposing pointed prong. The letters inscribed there were huge and I had to tilt my head to read it.
           
Welcome to the Forties, it said.
           
Thank you, I said.
           
Slackening my grip, I drifted in the direction of less elaborate signs. They were branded with dates, deeply chiselled for permanency, years ranging from 1940 to 1944. Again I felt that sweeping chill. Vibes of bloody battles made me shudder. A curious burning smell made me want to puke. Lamentations filled the air and my cheeks were showered with watery drops. I glanced upwards expecting to see rain clouds, but the sun was shining as fiercely as before. Hastily, I averted my eyes, not liking the perception of such acute sadness. Anxious to find more agreeable surroundings, I pulled my cape closer and wafted away.
           
Flitting over a cheerless lake, I advanced towards a solidly constructed signpost, made of steel with wrought iron digits standing proud, each digit entwined with withered roses and sprigs of laurel. 1945. Waves of acclamation caressed me, yet the impression that someone had died was very strong. There were no mortals to whom I could attribute the echoing sounds yet I definitely heard laughter and muffled exchanges. And enunciated names: Hitler and Ribbentrop. My own impression was one of relief though I couldn’t explain why. It might have been the warmth, or the unexpected peace.
           
Ahead of me, descending slowly earthward, was an additional signpost. Enthralled by the method of descent I watched it alight on the brow of the hill, its arrow-like arm indicating the direction of the fifties. What lay on the other side? Would there be chaos, more gunfire and smoke, more flashing lights and despairing cries? I decided not to proceed. I had seen enough. All I wanted was to go home. If only I knew the way.
           
Swiftly, I arched away from the ghosts that occupied that extraordinarily desolate chunk of land, gathering about me the cape which seemed suddenly leaden. I panicked that the exit point might elude me, completely forgetting I could fly. I whirled round in my agitation and collided with a hitherto unseen monumental placard, suspended in mid-air, the size of the tract itself. I paced back, tortuously slanting my neck to behold the colossal red lettering. Red as blood, the only vivid colour in that dingy brown expanse.

YOU ARE NOW LEAVING OUR DECADE
WE TRUST YOUR VISIT WAS INSPIRING

Somewhere a clock chimed. Out of the remoteness came Ma's piping voice shouting me to wake. My eyes fluttered open. The silver cape was on the five-drawer chest where I had left it after the fancy dress ball. The mask was hanging by its elastic on one of the knobs. I breathed a sigh of relief. I was back home, in our matchbox-sized house, a bright and cosy property just big enough for Ma and me. We were unassailable. We were unaffected by past decades.
           
Or were we?

11 comments:

  1. Ah, what a dream--that concept of being unaffected by the decade's events is a brilliant one.
    I enjoyed this one, Valerie--flew along with the masked crusader!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha. what an interesting story...i wonder at the importance of the time period in your dream....i would love to fly...but the signs and how the one descending caught your attention as well...intriguing...

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW I married the Cape Crusader!!
    Great piece of prose.
    Dream on through the decades.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Valerie, I absolutely loved reading this again. I remember reading it when you posted it the first time and being so awestruck by the ending.

    As I was again!

    Great story, dear lady!

    I love the way you write!

    X

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mel, it would be great to fly through the decades and wake up not a day older!

    Brian, I'm glad you found it intriguing.

    Ron, thank you for reading this a second time, and thank you for supporting my work. I haven't seen THAT FILM yet, but I will soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my, Val, this is a terrific little piece! Every now and then I dream that I'm flying..or I'll fall off a cliff and land at the bottom light as a feather!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome! Sounds like the sort of dreams I typically have. Last night, for example, I dreamed of a world that was losing colors. They were simply fading out of existence and out of mind. I possessed a tube of paint that, when used, could resurrect any color of choice, but the more I tried to save the colors, the quicker they disappeared, until I physically started fading out of time and space.

    I've never had normal dreams. Heh...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Val. I am out of accolades again to let you know how much I appreciate you sharing your wonderful words with us. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Did you really dream that Valerie or is it just one of your marvelous stories?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pearl, it wasn't MY dream, it was written in the first person. I always forget to tell people that before I post a story.

    Herman, even though your dream lost colours, it seemed more colourful than my story.

    ReplyDelete

If you're new to A Mixed Bag you might find something to interest you, a bit of mirth, a story or two, or some pictures. I'm so pleased you popped in, do leave a comment if you have time.