Friends

05 March 2012

Trust Not The Vow ... Chapter 20

Eric Hudspith was not surprised by anything he was told about Gary though he refrained from saying I told you so. But he was shocked to learn that Rachel's despondency had led to a drunken binge. ‘I wish you had rung me at the time, dear girl? I would have come round sooner.’ He held his head in his hands. ‘Dear Lord,’ he said in a low voice. ‘Bestow upon me the chance to deface that abnormal creature.’ Abruptly, he seized one of Rachel's hands. ‘Promise me, Rachel, that you will contact me immediately if ever you feel so low again.’

Rachel said, ‘You're a tower of strength, Eric.’ She was a little overawed by his concern, but grateful for it and for his abiding friendship. Who else would hurry to her side to offer advice and comfort? Cynthia would, and so would her father if he knew, but no-one else.

‘Dear girl, if we are to eat today we had better get a move on. I have booked a table at Frederick's Restaurant. In view of your upsetting experience, I felt justified in upgrading our eating place. Steak bars are all very well, but they do get so busy. Privacy is almost out of the question.’ Eric chucked Rachel's chin. ‘A little peace and pampering will do you good. From what you tell me, you don't get too much of either.’

(to be continued)

12 comments:

  1. You write extremely well Valerie. Have you been published?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooooh, is there romance around the corner for Eric and Rachel?

    ReplyDelete
  3. a quick little installment...makes for a nice bridge to whatever is next

    ReplyDelete
  4. Once, John. Thanks.

    Mums the word, Mona ...smiles.

    Brian, I was once told I should do a shortened chapter but I think it works okay.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooooo Valerie, such a scrumptious chapter, making us eagerly anticipate what's to come next!

    Well done, dear lady.

    Well done!

    Have a terrific Tuesday!

    X

    ReplyDelete
  6. Short instalment today Valerie but a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brian, for should (in my response) read shouldn't.

    Short and sweet, Pearl..smiles

    Ron, I think I would describe this chapter as 'sowing seeds'.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't think I have ever tuned in on Tuesday before, and I am sure glad I did, Val. Wonderful words as always.

    ReplyDelete
  9. ARgh....too short! I was all settled in and ready for a lengthy read. Why must you toy with us like that? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Valerie, I gave you a 'Sunshine Award' with a link to your blog. (It's over on my blog). I will be back to read more of your lovely stories too. I need to catch up! x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I read you regularly my friend, comment when I can but want you to know how much I am enjoying your story.....what is going to happen to Rachel, you have fooled me a few times. Hope you all, big hug.:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. The give and take of the dialogue is perfect. You "arm" the characters with just the right banter to keep the story moving and developing. Love it!

    ReplyDelete

If you're new to A Mixed Bag you might find something to interest you, a bit of mirth, a story or two, or some pictures. I'm so pleased you popped in, do leave a comment if you have time.