Friends

03 May 2012

Book Review

Postcard Killers
by James Patterson

Why is it that non-violent people or people who hate violence of any kind get so much enjoyment from murder mysteries. A friend and I were talking about this the other day. She is a very laid back person, nice manners and easy to be with, yet she confessed that she reads crime novels and the more outrageous the better. And so do I.

Is it the crime we enjoy or the solving of same? Whichever, we both agreed that James Patterson’s ‘Postcard Killers’ was gripping stuff. 

Together with Liza Marklund he created a terrifying read where a NYPD detective tries to find his daughter’s killer. The only clue is the postcard sent to local reporters which he discovers is an indication of where the next murder will be committed.  The investigation takes him to Stockholm where he teams up with a Swedish reporter who has also received a postcard. There follows gruesome accounts of more murders and astonishing facts that lead to the identity of the killer.

The Mirror said ‘Patterson’s annual summer thriller is another exceptional read’ while the News of the World claimed that ‘it feels like you’re reading a Bruce Willis film’.

I couldn’t agree more. I have just read 513 pages of pure intrigue.

9 comments:

  1. nice review Val ..
    I will probably get it for my
    Nook..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't like thrillers or anything gory. Was it Stephen King though who said that he wrote horror in order to be able to deal with it in his own mind?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a big fan of murder mysteries Valerie. I started off with Sherlock Holmes and Agatha Christie, and went on from there. This sounds like an excellent read, thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like James Patterson and this is a good review. I think your and your friend are right about mysteries.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i dont know that i have read this one honestly...he put out like 35 books a year the last couple years and i just cant keep up...

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Why is it that non-violent people or people who hate violence of any kind get so much enjoyment from murder mysteries."

    HA! I'm the exact same way, Valerie. I adore murder mystery books AND movies. LOVE them!

    Did you ever see the movie, "The Copy Cat Murders?" Great film!

    Awesome review, dear lady. Thanks for sharing!

    X

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brian, I agree that he turns out a lot of books at a fast pace. I don't hunt them out, just wait until I see one in the charity shop and then buy it.

    Ron, I knew you'd like mysteries. Yes, I did see Copy Cat Murders and enjoyed it. Might watch that again now you've raised it.

    Banker Chick, thanks. I'm reading Harlan Coben now. He's another favourite.

    Denise, I think we like the same things.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh darlin', it's just the thrill of it all.

    The book sounds like a fab read. I'm always huntin' for my winters reads.

    Thanks for the heads up sweetie.

    Have a bountifully blessed day! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  9. James Patterson is a solid writer. I managed to get through Starship Troopers and Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency this week. I now have my weekend free, but might just pick up Postcard Killers to see what the hoopla is all about :-)

    ReplyDelete

If you're new to A Mixed Bag you might find something to interest you, a bit of mirth, a story or two, or some pictures. I'm so pleased you popped in, do leave a comment if you have time.