Friends

25 May 2012

The Fox

(picture courtesy of ironammonite.com)

A few days ago the fox lay in wait at the bottom of the garden. That’s when I saw him. He was crouched in stalking position, bushy tail waving excitedly. Then he dived into the bushes, presumably after a bird. It could have been a squirrel but a squirrel is as canny as the fox, he would have been up and running at the first sniff of one. Or would he? I watched and could see the fox darting about but by this time he was always behind foliage so I didn’t get a clear view. I didn’t get a picture either. My camera was elsewhere and if I’d gone to get it the whole scenario would have been missed.

Nature can seem cruel sometimes but the fox has to survive, same as the rest of the wildlife. We feed the birds, and the birds feed the fox. Sad, but true.

The fox looked healthy and young, not old enough to have caught the mange or other life threatening disease. I actually thought there were two of them because one disappeared into the bushes on the right hand side of the garden and seconds later ‘appeared’ on the left. However, foxes are clever at disappearing and reappearing in the time it takes to blink so maybe that’s what happened ... I blinked.  If there were two it would have been good to see both youngsters playing together on the lawn.  

Later in the day I saw him again. Just the one. The sun was out, it was warm, and the Freddy the Fox was lying down, for all the world like he was sunbathing. I watched from the window until he moved and, as I thought, left the garden. I went down there to check and saw him lying amidst the undergrowth, in the area I designated as my wild patch, or to put it a better way, a wildlife patch. I spoke a few times. He looked at me for a couple of minutes, then got up and slunk away.

By early evening I was getting used to seeing him. Freddy found another sunny patch and decided to have a bit of a nap. I stayed in the house and watched. Cameras were fetched and shots taken but deep down Hubs and I knew it was a useless exercise considering the distance between him and us. Finally, Freddy stretched, stood up, had a scratch, and ambled off into the unknown.

A few sunny and warm days later I went down the garden to inspect the new growth in my 'rough patch'. Foxy must have been asleep behind a bush because for about five minutes there was nothing  but peace and quiet, then suddenly the animal darted out and rushed right past me before racing round the garden to his escape route. I couldn't believe I had been so close to him and me without camera as well. 

I hope he comes again. Perhaps I should carry the camera with me at all times ... regardless. 

8 comments:

  1. it is cool to see a fox...just dont get too comfortable with him...he is a fox afterall...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Valerie, I adore foxes!

    I've never seen one myself, but I find them utterly fascinating little creatures. And OMG...I hear they're VERY smart too!

    " However, foxes are clever at disappearing and reappearing in the time it takes to blink so maybe that’s what happened ... I blinked."

    Yup...I bet that's what happened too because I read they're FAST moving!

    "Nature can seem cruel sometimes but the fox has to survive, same as the rest of the wildlife. We feed the birds, and the birds feed the fox. Sad, but true."

    You're so right!

    I do hope Freddy stops by again, so you can get a photo of him:)

    Have a glorious weekend, dear lady!

    X

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ron and Brian, foxes are now known as urban foxes. They come in search of food, having been driven from the countryside by huntsmen and their dogs and the lack of natural food through farming diversities. I like to see them but do appreciate that they should be treated with caution.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's cool that you've gotten to see him a few times, but I, too, advise not to get too close! Bring your camera next time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, "Close Encounters" !! Carry your camera, girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well heck YEAH you should carry the camera always--not that you'll always get the shot. I was so busy 'oohhh-ing and ahhhh-ing' I didn't get a shot of the fawn that was at the pond the other afternoon.....but she was too cute!

    We get foxes...and I get zero photos of 'em the little boogers....LOL They're FAST!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Me and my softball team just saw a fox after one of our games late at night. I haven't checked the Chinese calendar but maybe it is the year of the fox? Have that camera ready next time. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cool shot, Val. I have always been intrigued by foxes. My friend just found a litter of baby foxes at her home the other day. Her kids were mesmerized.

    ReplyDelete

If you're new to A Mixed Bag you might find something to interest you, a bit of mirth, a story or two, or some pictures. I'm so pleased you popped in, do leave a comment if you have time.